It’s now Week 5 in the 10 Things Challenge and I have easily gotten rid of over 50 items already! More and more people are doing their own version of the challenge at home, and I could not be happier hearing about their progress and attack on clutter at home. Want to participate? Round up 10 things each week and get them out of the house, and then stop by on Wednesday (when these weekly posts go live) and let us all know what you got rid of. Here is what I am getting rid of this week:
1. Power strip ->Free Box
2. Power strip ->Free Box
3. Old Xbox, controllers, games ->Craigslist or friend
4. Sketchers shoes ->Free box
5. Manda Bala DVD ->Free box
6. Sketchers shoes ->Free box
7. Annoying clock ->Free box
8. Heart paperweight ->Free Box
9. 3 chargers to items unknown ->Free box
10. Coaxial cable ->Free box
So, there you have it – 10 more things leaving my house less cluttered. What 10 things are you getting rid of this week?
I’ve been reading along with the 10 things challenge, but haven’t posted. Mostly because just before the challenge began, I did a major house purge (pre-move) and couldn’t face more cleaning.
But I just visited my mom and helped do a bit of garage-cleaning. Here are my 10 things from my childhood:
1. Three small plastic busts of Bach, Beethoven, Mozart – Goodwill
2. Old telescope – Goodwill
3. Melted and detached Barbie body parts – trash
4. Crushed Barbie car – trash
5. Ceramic jar shaped like a butt (don’t ask) – Goodwill
6. Two plastic smurfs – Goodwill
7. Assorted books – Goodwill
8. My old rollerskates (in terrible shape) – trash
9. Mouse-chewed elementary school homework papers – recycling
10. Set of Barbie-sized wicker furniture – Goodwill
I too have been reading about the challenge and always weed out on a weekly basis as well.
If you wish to link to my site please send me an email- and I will make a note as well to take part in the weekly challenge.
1. napkin holder (GW)
2. melon baller (GW)
3. ashtray (GW)
4. bicycle seat bag (GW)
5. 2-lb. hand weight (GW)
6. straw bag (GW)
7. hat (GW)
8. coat (GW)
9. purse (GW)
10. unused swimcap (GW)
1. 2 cu/ft of glass jars that canning lids won’t fit on – Recycled
2. 12 cardboard boxes, various sizes, saved for ‘someday’ shipments – Recycled
2. b – “peanuts” for above boxes – Recycled
3. Box of chipped canning jars – Recycled
(WHY was I saving them?)
4. Box of newspapers for woodstove only they’d been rained on too many times – Recycled
4.b – Magazines – Recycled.
5. 6 ft heavy metal pole – to Metal shed/at recycling building
6. Extra laundry detergent bottles for crab pot buoys – Recycled
7. 2 crabpots – too small – Sold at friend’s garage sale
8. Torn cardboard packaging for grandkids’ games – placed pieces in ziplocks – boxes were: Recycled
9. Old lecture chair with armrest for writing surface – Gave to daughter for grandkids’ study room
10. Various shelves and shelving – To daughter for grandkids’ rooms/books
1.Puppy tote bag – young friend with lab puppy
2.Three unloved bowls – Goodwill
3.Ten past-prime cosmetic items – trash
4.Major dust-magnet display frame – GW
5.Two sets fresh markers – GW
6.Two market bags – GW
7.USA wooden puzzle – church class
8.Current read magazines – library
9.Sofa pillow cover – GW
10.Unused for a decade notebook – GW
Thank you, David, for inspiring this 50-Things-So-Far-Minimum-Effort Declutter.
4th week of the things challenge. I got rid of 10 pair of shoes. It’s pretty easy to get rid of 10 things when you have kids! I just hope I can keep it up.
1) cardboard boxes– recycled
2) used once body lotion–free box at work
3) more clothes–GW
4) old food–to compost
5) 2 books–GW
6) old paint cans–hazard trash
7) junk ?hose? mystery–trash
8) paper clutter–shredded (at work)
9) Sister’s Christmas decor–mailed to her
10) Unused CD’s scanned and freecycled
All the little things really add up. I am pretty much down to things that I love/use/need. It’s been a 2 year project.
Thank you David for giving more of those little nudges.
If you count the CDs, again, more than 10 Things off to Goodwill this week. I am looking forward to freeing up more space!
1. 18 CDs
2. 2 Wooden sketch dummies
3. Assorted paintbrushes
4. Hanging shoe storage bag
5. Change box/till
6. Ceramic clock
7. 2 Wooden table easels
8. Plastic gold and silver chargers
9. 2 books on tape, 5 cassettes
10. Helmet, never worn
Picture on twitpic @mckra1g
I love the 10 things concept (I’ve been in the realm of 100 items a week lately) but as I look at your discards and read some of the items mentioned in the comment section I find myself thinking “Ohh, that’s cool…like your annoying clock!” I guess that’s how we end up with too much stuff in the first place.
Keep up the challenge!!