In response to my post on Monday about How I Use Google To Organize My Entire Online Digital Life, I received several requests for a write-up on how I have all 10 of my email accounts inside my main Gmail account. It’s actually quite a simple process, and I will do my best to explain it here.
Inside Gmail, there are actually two things you are going to need to do – set up your account to Get Mail From Other Accounts, and set up your account to Send Mail As. You can do each part separately, but if you start with Get Mail From Other Accounts, it automatically asks if you if you wish to be able to send mail as well. It definitely simplifies things! OK, let’s get started.
Get Mail From Other Accounts & Send Mail As
1. Inside your main Gmail account, click on “Settings” up on the upper right.
2. In the next window, click on “Accounts”
3. Scroll down to the second box titled “Get Mail From Other Accounts”.
4. Click on “Add a mail account you own”.
5. A window will pop up asking for the email address you want to add, type it right in there and click Next Step.
6. On the next page, fill in the appropriate information for that account. If it is a Gmail account, user pop.gmail.com for the POP server. I unclick all option boxes except “Always use a secure connection”.
7. The next window will say (if you did it correctly) “You can now retrieve mail from this account. Would you also like to be able to send mail as “youremailaddress”? Click Yes if you do, or No if you don’t.
8. I will assume you clicked Yes, as that is what this tutorial is for. Click Next Step if this is the case.
9. The next window will ask you for the information about this email account you are adding. Enter your name or what you want mail recipients to see when they receive mail from your new account. You can also specify a different “Reply-to” address here, which I would not do. Click Next Step.
10. You should now see a message saying “Before you can send mail as “youremailaddress”, we need to verify that you own this email address. Click on “Send Verification”, and then go check that extra account you are adding to your main account for the verification email.
11. Got it? Great. You can either click on the link in the email you just got in your other account, or you can copy and paste the verification code in the window you were working in. Click Verify…and you are done!
Now, inside your main Gmail account, start composing a new email to anyone. You will see that you can now select which email address you want to send the mail from. Pretty cool, right? And any emails sent to your other email account(s) will arrive in this main account. I have all 10 of my accounts both sent to and enabled to send from my main Gmail account, and it has definitely made my life easier. Hope this helps you guys, and let me know if you have any questions!